Monday, November 8, 2010

Eat your heart out, Nigella




The little one and I spent the day cooking and perfecting our Domestic Diva routine. First we made mini-apple pies, using this recipe. It was perfection...the crust was light and flaky, the filling savory and sweet. I added a little pumpkin pie spice and ground cloves, which I think made it amazing.
This was my first attempt at making pie crust since college, when my roommate's mom tried to teach me how to make it with disasterous results. I was super proud of myself for getting it right this time, and Miss M loved kneading it, as seen above.
Yesterday at my inlaws, I saw a recipe for egg noodles and spinach cooked in muffin pans. It
looked good; I read the recipe and then promptly forgot it. But tonight, I whipped up my best variation.
You need:
* 1/2 bag of egg noodles, cooked and drained.
* 1 box frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed free of any extra liquid
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 carrot, shredded and finely chopped
* 1/3 cup shredded parmesean cheese for muffins
* 2 tbsp. mayo
* 1/4 cup milk
* Ground pepper to taste
* 1 tsp. nutmeg
* Cooking spray
For topping:
* 1/2 cup bread crumbs, unseasoned
* 2 tbsp. shredded parmesean
* Ground pepper to taste
Preheat your oven to 350.
Cook the egg noodles. Drain and set to the side.
Mix the spinach, carrots, cheese, garlic and spices together. Add the mayo and milk and stir. Add in the egg noodles, stirring to coat.
Spray a muffin tin well, making sure to coat the bottom and sides.
Spoon the mixture into the tins. Use the back of the spoon to tap the mix down in.
Mix your topping together. Sprinkle over the top of your noodle muffins.
Cook for about 15-20 minutes, until the tops are nice and brown.
I wish I would have taken a picture of the finished product, but I was too excited to eat! Needless to say, they were delicious, like a little veggie lasagna. The hubbie and Miss M liked it, which made this lady feel good. Oh, and I served with roasted cauliflower and turnips. Hello, heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment