Thursday, November 4, 2010

Gypsies, Tramps and Theives

I would live out of a suitcase. Honestly. I love hotels and airports and taxis and noise and being somewhere you know nothing about. I love meeting new people, finding an awesome hole in the wall restruant, figuring out a new place. I love the tiny bottles of shampoo and thrill of landing in a new city. My grandma once told me that our family had gypsy blood and I believe it.

That being said...I haven't been anywhere really. Lots of travel in the US and I've been to Canada a few times. Nothing beyond that. It's a combination of little money and a newly conquered fear of flying.

But here's the thing...that map? There's no where I wouldn't go. If someone gave me the opportunity to go there, I'd do it. Afganistan, Congo, Antarctia? Sure. Sign me up. Would it be scary? Hell yes. But it's an adventure. And isn't that what life's all about?

The Top 10 Places I Want To See In My Life Are:

1.) Ireland. I totally agree with my BFF Bethany, who said that there seems to be something so magically green about that land. I dream about it sometimes. My family is Irish on both sides and I often wonder if there's some sort of genetic pull for me there. Plus, I really want to see this: The Giant's Causeway

2.) Paris. I know it's cliche and maybe it comes from my deep and abiding love of 60's musicals and Leslie Caron, but I need to go there. I need to walk along the Seine and stare at the Eiffel Tower and drink coffee in Montmatre. I need to see Le Centre Pompidou and go to Gertrude Stein's apartment and sit in the stillness of Notre Dame. Also, I love cheese. And France is the best for cheese.

3.) Fiji. I want to lay in a hammock over the ocean and just watch the day float by.

4.) Cuba. My grandfather used to travel to Cuba in the 50's for business and one day, years ago, I came across a whole box of pictures of him in Havana, looking very dapper and Don Drapper-esque. And I was smitten. I want to go and just wander one side of the island to the other. I want to drink rum in a hot dive bar and listen to local musicians.

5.) Russia. Confession: I am a nerd. I almost majored in Russian History in college. This country fascinates me. It's so cosmopolitan and so third world all at the same time. I want to see The Winter Palace in St. Petersburg, ride a train through Siberia and stand gaping in Red Square.

6.) Kenya. I would love to go on a nature safari. Something like a cross between Priscilla, Queen of the Desert and Out of Africa.

7.) San Fransisco. I've never been further west than Dallas. San Fran fascinates me...maybe it was all of the Alan Ginsburg and Jack Kerouac I read in college. PLus I want to see Alcatraz.

8.) Hawaii. Totally a must see. I want to lay on black sand beaches and watch lava flow into the ocean. I want to wear a loud, terrible, campy Hawaiian mumu and learn to dance like the natives.

9.) Italy. I just want to wear elastic waist pants and eat my way up one side of that country and down the other. Okay?

10.) Argentina. But mostly so I can pretend I'm Evita and sing from a balcony.

No comments:

Post a Comment